Salem Tunnel Report in Baltimore and Washington DC

George Peabody, Alexander Brown, and Charles Bulfinch

So on my travels looking for community in America, I stumbled on some possible tunnels; well I knew they had to be there, but I still had to find them. Well, at least I found the tell-tale signs; everywhere but Washington D.C. There I walked into a new one.

It all starts in 1795 when Harrison Gray Otis gives architect Charles Bulfinch the contract to build a new statehouse in Boston in the pasture of John Hancock’s house. This was most likely in the area that the tunnels extended from Hancock’s wine cellar. They just had to tap into an old tunnel system and stretch it through the Beacon Hill neighborhood they just purchased from the painter John Singleton Copley who was living in England at the time. The governor and Bulfinch saw the lack of proximity to their advantage and refused to pay the painter for years. To prepare the ground for the new State House Bulfinch erected a funicular railroad to take down the Tremont Hill and dump the dirt within Mill Pond and the mudflats of the Charles River.  While he was doing this, he was digging new tunnels and connecting them to the new manors he was building also. All he had to do was sneak the tunnel dirt into the dirt coming down from the hill.

Did you know Hancock was our 4th and 13th president? Both terms he served before Washington…He was president when he signed the Declaration.

He copied this plan in Salem MA, Newburyport MA, and Washington D.C. The difference in Washington was that there was no water to hide the dirt in front of the Capitol he was hired by President Monroe to rebuild after the War of 1812. So they dug a canal leading to the Capitol so he could hide the dirt in the piles being carted away, then filled in the ditch with water. The canal has since been removed. Maybe while they were creating new tunnels.

Now did you know, that between the Jefferson and Adams wings of the Library of Congress there are 4 layers of tunnels the public is welcome to walk through? Also, you can leave the Library of Congress and head to the Capitol. Once in the Capitol, you can continue to the Hart Senate Office Building. Here are some pictures.

 

Now besides Bulfinch who resided in Salem for a period, there was George Peabody. He and his brother utilized tunnels in Newburyport, MA that Bulfinch built for their dry good store. Then George followed an uncle to the Georgetown section of Washington. Another location rumored to have tunnels. Then Peabody followed a friend he served with during the War of 1812 to Baltimore in 1816 moving their company Riggs& Peabody they formed a year prior in Georgetown.  They moved to Baltimore because it was closer to the slave and cotton markets they were participating in.  In 1829 Riggs retired to NYC and in time his home was incorporated into the US Customs House. The Customs House in Salem Ma was connected to the tunnels, and I will assume the one in NYC was too.

Before moving to New York, Elisha funded the bank of Corcoran & Riggs in Washington, DC, which was organized by his son George Washington Riggs. When the United States sought a loan to finance the Mexican–American War, the Riggs bank was the only institution to bid for the full amount and lent the government $34 million in 1847 and 1848. After the retirement of William Corcoran, Elisha’s son George Washington Riggs and his grandson Elisha Francis Riggs took over the business as Riggs & Co. in Washington. It was successfully run as such until July 1896 when it assumed its present name as the Riggs National Bank. The bank still stands at its original location as PNC Bank. Riggs Bank was the bank of choice for the CIA and the dictators they supported. Corcoran & Riggs had many US politicians and presidents under their influence through their time in operation. Peabody kept close ties to his business partner’s son’s bank.

Peabody also was close to Alexander Brown who founded the B&O railroad in Baltimore. Peabody secured loans from Joshua Bates of Baring Brothers Bank for the railroad. Bates was from Salem as well and his uncle was Thomas Perkins who started the opium empire that grew the Forbes fortune. Baring Brother’s was one of the English banks that profited from loans it secured for the First and Second National Bank after the Revolutionary War and The War of 1812. After both wars with the English, we sold 70% of the debt we incurred to the enemy.

Alexander and Henry Baring married the daughters of William Bingham. William Bingham married Thomas Willing’s daughter. Willing was president of The First National Bank. Bingham was the man who Alexander Hamilton sought advice from to make the First National Bank. The First National Bank lost its charter in 1811 for selling the majority of the loans that congress needed to the British who we defeated in a war. Samuel Ward was Baring’s agent who secured several bribes to many of Salem’s wealthy and politicians so that at the close of The War of 1812 they would ensure a Second National Bank. In which they did and they all became directors of the new bank. So in 1836 Jackson closes the bank for selling 70% of Congress’ debt to England once more after a war with them. So when Peabody secured the loan for B&O, two of Thomas Perkins’ nephews were controlling partners in Baring Brothers Bank.

Also in response to Jackson’s Bank Wars Peabody engineered the 1837 Panic with Lionel Rothschild and created the first bank bailout when he bailed out the Brown Brothers Bank in Liverpool, Alexander’s son’s bank. This was the first of a series of panics, depressions, and great recessions that happen on a 20-year timetable. Peabody & Co. Bank is now known as JP Morgan Bank. JP Morgan and Morgan Stanely were fined for creating the 2008 Finacial Collapse.

Now when I walked around Brown’s Wharf in Baltimore I had seen plenty of tell-tale signs of tunnel activity. First, there were delivery entrances in the sidewalk everywhere in the area. These are created when you remove the roof of a section of a tunnel to give access through the foundation to the basement. Then you block off the tunnel from going any further. Tunnels usually run in front of a store under the sidewalks. Also in the Hats in the Belfry shop, they had a trapdoor. Many times that was an access point to get into those smuggling tunnels. Also, there were locations where they had steps leading to doors under the sidewalk. In some places, these are points in which the tunnel ran into the building that was later converted to a basement entrance by removing the top of the tunnel and blocking it by a staircase and utilizing the tunnel entrance to the basement. Why put a second hole in your foundation if you do not need to?

Peabody and Baltimore are also connected by the library he built which is now part of John Hopkins Univesity. There are many stories of tunnels under the university. Also, there is Hutzler’s department store shoppers’ tunnel under Saratoga Street. It linked the main store with another set of buildings that housed the toy department, garage, and a soda fountain. It is similar to Daniel Low in Salem that has a tunnel that led to its warehouse. Another passage under Calvert Street at Lexington connected the old Federal Reserve Bank with the old Post Office. Through Peabody’s bank, JP Morgan was able to create the Federal Reserve, The Third National Bank. Then there was the tunnel under Federal Hill. Rumors of tunnels exist under Salem’s Colonial hill fort as well. Plus many of the B&O trains had tunnels to run through hiding them from those walking through the city. Then a quick search found tunnels under Lexington Market, The Washington Monument, Westminister Hall, and the Baltimore Basilica.  Here are a few pictures I had found online.

So there are a few connections between Salem and Baltimore that run deep below the surface. Some of them appear even in the game Monopoly that was developed in Salem. Because of George Peabody, Rich Uncle Pennybags is modeled after JP Morgan and the game reflects Peabody’s investment in the B&O Railroad and the Boston and Maine which bought his Eastern Railroad. Also, Peabody dug the first train tunnel in the nation that was attached to an underground train station used by the smugglers in Salem. Alexander Brown seemed to be a good student of his.

If you have any information about the tunnels in Baltimore let us know below in the comment section. If you want to find out more about the tunnels in Salem MA read Salem Secret Underground: The History of the Tunnels in Salem and Sub Rosa.

 

 

Banking Secrets from Salem MA

Peabody & Co., Peabody, Morgan & Co., JS Morgan & Co., JP Morgan; All the Same

George Peabody

 

George Peabody orchestrated several economic panics with Rothschild in England. His bank is now called JP Morgan which orchestrated the 2008 Financial Collapse.

I was awarded by Queen Victoria for helping the poor; by displacing over 10,000 people. I planned the 2008 economic collapse in 1837 which has been reoccurring every 20 years. My bank is now called JP Morgan Chase and they were fined for planning the collapse!

For more info read Sub Rosa to find out how Salem shaped America and your lives! Available at Remember Salem, Jolie Tea, Wicked Good Books, Barnes & Noble, and Amazon.com. Also to learn more stories like this first hand, book a tour with the Salem Smugglers’ Tour!

Salem House Press
http://www.salemhousepress.com

Vintage Salem Morning

Washington Street and the First Train Tunnel in America

4 Views of a Secret. This tunnel running from Essex Street to the Tabernacle Church under Washington Street was used to hide the loading of contraband from the smuggling tunnels in Salem. The first track on the frog entering the tunnel was built by George Peabody whose plan has bankrupted our country every 20 years up to 2008. The second track on the frog was owned by Thomas Perkins the opium dealer who would smuggle runaway slaves to his sweatshops in Lowell. Eight tunnels met in the back of the Kinsman Building (Opus Underground) and one left the front to this tunnel in the photos. Kinsman was superintendent of the Eastern Railroad owned by Peabody.

For more info read Salem Secret Underground: The History of the Tunnels in the City and Sub Rosa by Chris Dowgin available at Wicked Good Books, Jolie Tea, Remember Salem, Barnes & Noble, and Amazon.com.

Send us your favorite vintage Salem photos to info@salemhousepress.com and we will post them and give you a shout out! Also if you have some to add to the photo from family histories, your readings, or your memories, please share them below in the comments section.

Come back every Wednesday morning to see another glimpse into Salem’s past.

Vintage Salem Morning!

4 Views of a Secret. This tunnel running from Essex Street to the Tabernacle Church under Washington Street was used to hide the loading of contraband from the smuggling tunnels in Salem. The first track on the frog entering the tunnel was built by George Peabody whose plan has bankrupted our country every 20 years up to 2008. The second track on the frog was owned by Thomas Perkins the opium dealer who would smuggle runaway slaves to his sweatshops in Lowell. Eight tunnels met in the back of the Kinsman Building (Opus Underground) and one left the front to this tunnel in the photos. Kinsman was superintendent of the Eastern Railroad owned by Peabody.

For more info read Salem Secret Underground: The History of the Tunnels in the City and Sub Rosa by Chris Dowgin available at Wicked Good Books, Jolie Tea, Remember Salem, Barnes & Noble, and Amazon.com.

East India Marine Hall and the Man Who Killed a President

Mysteries of the Museum

East India Marine Hall and the Peabody Essex Museum Salem MA

 

East India Marine Hall

161 Essex Street

Built in 1825. Stephen White was the current president of the Salem East India Marine Society Incorporated them as a LLC and had his mason William Roberts build it. The Salem East India Marine Society was founded in 1799 by supercargoes and ship captains who have rounded the Cape of Good Hope and Cape Horn. The hall would be built across from Stephen White’s boyhood home and counting house. Benjamin Hodges was the society’s first president as well as master of the Essex Lodge. The museum was incorporated in 1801 to house objects gathered by their members from their sea voyages to create a museum of curiosities. Upon the East India Marine Hall’s opening John Quincy Adams presided over banquet. On the first floor was Stephen White’s Asiatic Bank, the post office, and Stephen White’s the Oriental Insurance Company. In 1867 the hall was refitted by donations from George Peabody who was the London banker in business with J.P. Morgan’s father.

George Peabody

Stephen White would murder his uncle under his blessings and blame the murder on the sons of two business partners that insulted his uncle. Stephen would then go on to see the murder of President Harrison after he denied to create the Third Bank of the United States. Only to die 3 days later himself. In 1867 the museum was bailed out by another gentleman who wanted to see the Third Bank of the United States created, George Peabody. He had previously sold several shares to the Rothschilds, Brown Brothers, and the Bank of England in the Second Bank of the United States that Jackson destroyed. In response to Jackson not renewing the charter Peabody worked with Rothschild to create the 1837 Panic.

10202461514351719

The Essex Historical Institute, The Essex Natural History Museum, East India Marine Museum, and the Peabody Academy of Science have been combined to make the Peabody Essex Museum. The hall has been added onto from 1885 to 2000 on various sides. In 2013 it saw another retrofit. The museum now holds collections of Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Oceanic, Indian, and Native American art along with collections of portraits, furniture, and maritime history from Essex County. For over 300 years this society has been collecting things from around the world. They have vaults in basements and subbasements under the East India Marine Hall and the Armory. I do not believe we will ever see the true extant of their collections. What fabulous items have they smuggled through the tunnels from the sea? There is rumors they have the Romanov crown jewels, Blackbeard’s skull, religious artifacts, and magical items from around the world are stored in their vaults. Soon they will be opening a tunnel from the Essex Institute to the Armory once more to move items through.

Blackbeard's skull-Cup at the Peabody Essex Museum Salem MA
10202387701186436

East_India_Marine_Hall_and_general_view,_by_H._P._Ives

Essex_Institute_Gallery

Essex-institute-historical-museum-and-picture-gallery-salem-mass

Get the book everyone digs before its sequel comes out!
Salem Secret Underground:The History of the Tunnels in the City!
Available at Barnes & Noble, Remember Salem, and Wicked Good Books in Salem on Essex Street. Also on Amazon.com!

Armory in Salem MA

Burning Religion

Salem Armory

Armory of the Salem Cadets

136 Essex Street

This was the residence of Col. Francis Peabody built in 1818 on portion of Governor Simon Bradstreet’s estate. Originally this home was built by Captain Joseph Peabody for his son Joseph Augustus. The Peabody’s house was the front section of the armory which has since been demolished and a park has been erected in its place. In 1890 the Stephen Abbot Associates of Cadets purchased the house and added the drill shed which is 86 feet long by 9 feet wide. The Second Corps of Cadets first commander was Stephen Abbott in 1786. This corps would train several officers for the military. The portion of the armory in Peabody’s house had a fine banquet hall which entertained Prince Arthur of England upon the death of London banker George Peabody in 1870. George Peabody formed the banking firm of George Peabody and Company which would later merge with Junius Spencer Morgan (J.P. Morgan’s father) to form Peabody, Morgan, and Company. Morgan Greenfell (now part of Deutsche Bank), J.P. Morgan and Chase, and Morgan Stanley. J.P. Morgan and Chase and Morgan Stanley would be part of the 2008 bailout along with Alexander Hamilton’s Bank of New York. During Peabody’s life he engineered 3 Great Panics with Nathaniel Rothschild. In 2014 J.P. Morgan and Morgan Stanley where fined for engineering the 2008 financial crisis. Peabody would create several museums and institutes including the Peabody Academy of Science which is now the Peabody Essex Museum. The Armory of the Salem Light Infantry was in the Franklin Building (site of the Hawthorne Hotel). The Peabody house was razed in 1908. Some of the original woodwork survives in the Mason Lodge on Washington Street.

Salem Masonic Lodge Fire
Firemen combat at fire at the Masonic Temple in Salem, Mass. on Feb. 22, 1982.

In 1908 the Company H, Eight Regiment, Massachusetts Volunteer Militia would build a new castle like armory to share with the Second Corps of Cadets. Company H was the Salem Light Infantry which was housed in the Franklin Building. The Salem Light Infantry was founded in 1805. FDR stopped here during a campaign tour to attend a ball. After WWII the armory was headquarters for the First Battalion, 102d Field Artillery. They remained here up till 1982 when a series of fires on Halloween burnt down the Cadet House on the front of the Armory. The arsonist burned the top floors of Mason Lodge on Washington Street, Saint Anne’s Church on Jefferson Ave. an one of the out buildings at the Lasalette monastery(Turner Hill) in Ipswich.He was trying to burn religion to the ground, for in the armory was where the Witch Balls were held. He was an equal opportunity atheist. The Battalion moved to Lynn.

Steve Dibble was once the city engineer. He had mentioned that there was marked off a tunnel to the armory on an old sewer map that was used to move black powder from the sea by the seawall by the old Burial Point. When I got to the engineer’s office to confirm this, that map was the only one missing. Who knows if they just ripped it out of the book or it was missing for years. You still can peer into this tunnel at the end of the oriental walkway across the street. Inside you will find the crossroads in the tunnel that head to the armory and the tunnels under the 3D Time Machine in the old Sacon jewelry building.

armory-after-fire-19921 Armory armoryold

Get the book everyone digs before its sequel comes out!
Salem Secret Underground:The History of the Tunnels in the City!
Available at Barnes & Noble, Remember Salem, and Wicked Good Books in Salem on Essex Street. Also on Amazon.com!

George Peabody: Panics and Financial Collapses

George_Peabody
George Peabody

George Peabody born in South Danvers in what is now Peabody in 1795. He was born into a large poor family he struggled throughout his life to keep up with. His first business foray was with his brother David in a dry goods shop in Newburyport. Then he traveled to Georgetown in Washington D.C. with his Uncle John in 1812 to set up another dry goods company. In 1814 he partners with Elisha Riggs to form Riggs, Peabody, & Co. wholesale dry good dealers. In 1815 they move to Baltimore to get closer to the slave market. Riggs retired in 1829, and the firm became Peabody, Riggs & Co., with the names reversed as Peabody became the senior partner. There stock entailed prizes from American privateers.  They also ventured heavily in slaves, wool, and garment goods from Europe sailed in from the north. They remained in partnership till 1835.

In 1827 Peabody would start sailing to Liverpool in England to introduce American wool to new markets. Through his connection with his two friends from Baltimore, William and James, he finds many doors open for him. The Brown Brothers were managing their father’s Liverpool office at the time of Alex. Brown & Sons. The bank that would in time become Brown Brothers, Hairrman, & Co.  Another influential friend would be Lord Nathan Mayer Rothschild.

East_India_Marine_hall_B
Peabody Essex Museum an Institute Filled with Tunnels and secrets.

In 1837 Peabody became a citizen living in London. In between that year and the next he ventured into merchant banking conducting business on his own account. Prior to then he also started selling state securities within Europe. George Peabody was in “High Finance” which consisted to catering to governments, wealthy individuals, and large companies. His entree into the field was to be the mouth piece for Rothschild who was despised by the other lords. It was no secret that Nathan ran the Bank of England along with Barings Brothers & Co., but his Jewish heritage limited him from doing more. So he established Peabody in high fashion as a lavish host whose entertainments would soon be the talk of London. Rothschild would, of course, pay all the bills. Peabody accepted the offer, and soon became known as the most popular host in London. His annual Fourth of July dinner, celebrating American Independence, became extremely popular with the English aristocracy, many of whom, while drinking Peabody’s wine, regaled each other with jokes about Rothschild’s crudities and bad manners, without realizing that every drop they drank had been paid for by Rothschild.

Kinsman Block secret train station tunnel entrance.
Tunnel leaving a building built by the superintendent of the Eastern Railroad to a secret train station. Peabody owned the railroad and some mills in Lowell in which good were smuggled to.

In 1836 Andrew Jackson let the charter of the Second Bank of the United States to lapse complaining that it was a private institution and foreign buyers purchased ownership shares of the bank until the 70 percent of the bank was owned outside our borders. This was worrisome to American politicians but this high share of foreign ownership was not unusual in the American financial system. Britain had been supplying capital to the U.S. economy for some time. Much of the financing was from Rothschild who helped charter the bank through his American agents the Phillip Brothers.  In fact oversight was real lax, especially in the Baltimore branch that came under the control of individuals who looted it of a million dollars before they were caught. The Baltimore branch went into receivership and the whole Bank was close to bankruptcy. This was the branch where Peabody and the Alex. Brown & Sons worked out of. Also the branch director was the future president James Buchanan. In Washington the branch director was Elisha Riggs son, Peabody’s old partner. In Boston the board was filled with Peabody’s Salem friends Daniel Webster and Benjamin Crowninshield. If it was not private institution before 1836 the Second Bank of the Untied States and its remaining 24 branches did indeed run as a private venture afterward until its failure in 1841.

The Bank of England responds to Jackson through Rothschild’s order. The Second Bank of the United States is now a private company. The bank instituted a 2 part plan. First they issued an order to extend almost unlimited credit for good security, placing plenty of money into circulation. Creating the fear of too much gold flowing to America in June 1836 by the Bank of England. Then when enough people took the bait, orders were issued to restrict credit, call in outstanding loans, and reduce the overall money supply. Then the Second Bank of the United States owned by foreigners bought up depreciated stocks for pennies on the dollar. One of which was George Peabody working for Nathan Mayer Rothschild.

Ben_Crowninshield_House
Secretary of the Navy and board member of the Second Bank of the United States home in Salem. One of many connected to the tunnels in town.

By October a run on the banks in Ireland occurs. Then in August The Bank of England refused to discount bills drawn on houses active in American trading In one day The Bank of England threw out all the paper connected with the United States. Rothschild divested itself of all its American holdings. The purpose of this action was to create an immediate financial panic in the United States, cause a complete contraction of credit, halt further issues of stocks and bonds, and ruin those seeking to turn United States securities into cash. Why? Not only did President Jackson promptly withdraw government funds from The Second Bank of the United States when he refused its charter, but he deposited these funds, $10 million, in state banks. The immediate result was that the country began to enjoy great prosperity. This sudden flow of cash caused an immediate expansion of the national economy, and the government paid off the entire national debt, leaving a surplus of $50 million in the Treasury.

The Panic of 1837 was to begin affecting America as well as Europe. In fact George Peabody through Rothschild finds guarantees so his friends Brown Brothers & Co. are ensured of $10 million pounds to keep them from defaulting on their loans. Others in England will feel the bite as well.  By 1842 eight states and one territory defaulted or repudiated their debts on state securities they had sold into the European Market. Many of these state securities are ones Peabody had sold. By 1861 Peabody will be the largest seller of state securities. To put pressure on the Lincoln government during the Civil War, he began unloading them and driving prices down. At the same time, his future business partner, Junius Morgan was depleting the American gold supply by shipping it to England. Morgan and Peabody were also brokering cotton sales to Europe to buy weapons and supplies for the South. The Panic of 1837 would last through to 1845 with several bubbles along the way.

Now what about future panics? In the 1848 Panic Corcoran & Riggs took a $16 million loan to by $14 million of the $18 million bond issued by America to pay for the Mexican War. The deficit was $30 Million. They received an advance on proceeds by sharing the debt with Barings, Peabody, Overend, Gurney & Co., and Rothschild; with Rothschild handling the majority. In 1844 Tyler had turned their firm into a federal depository and they handled a majority of influential politicians including James Polk, Henry Clay, Stephen Douglas, James Buchanan, Daniel Webster, and young Congressman Abraham Washington. Its safe to say that Peabody had a hand in the profit and control of the son of his old partner. Riggs told Peabody, “Our position and standing with the Executive heads of departments gives us advantages in transactions with the government not enjoyed by others. Also he told him,“Our position and standing here gives us many advantages, having the earliest information in relations to matters and things.” In the Panic of 1857 they pulled the same plan from the 1837 Panic from the old playbook.

Train Tunnel heading toward Station. Just long enough to hide one train.
Train tunnel heading toward secret station built by Peabody’s railroad. Just long enough to hide one train.

In the panic of 1857, when depreciated securities had been thrown on the market by distressed investors in America, Peabody and the elder Morgan, being in possession of cash, had purchased such bonds as possessed real value freely, and then resold them at a large advance when sanity was restored. After the panic had been engineered, one firm came into the market with one million pounds in cash, purchased securities from distressed investors at panic prices, and later resold them at an enormous profit. That firm was the Morgan firm, and behind it was the clever maneuvering of Baron Nathan Mayer Rothschild. George Peabody & Co. was founded in 1851. By 1854 it will become Peabody, Morgan, & Co. after recruiting Junius Spencer Morgan. 1864 J.S Morgan & Co. upon Peabody’s retirement.

The Great Depression? Sir Montagu Norman, Governor of the Bank of England for many years, was a partner of Brown, Shipley & Company. Sir Montagu Norman was organizer of “informal talks” between heads of central banks in 1927, which led directly to the Great Stockmarket Crash of 1929.  Brown, Shipley & Co. formed by Peabody’ friends the Browns of Baltimore.  2008 Financial Scandal? “JPMorgan Chase put profits ahead of responsibility by recklessly churning out thousands of defective mortgage loans, failing to inform the government of known problems with those loans and leaving the government to cover the losses when the loans defaulted,” as the New York Times quotes Preet Bharara, the United States Attorney in Manhattan. They have been fined the most for their engineering this current depression, $4 Billion. In their second quarter of 2015 JP Morgan and Chase made $6.3 Billion with an overall worth of $24.5 Billion. Its about time we slapped the hand that George Peabody fostered…

The Most Haunted Ghosts Stories that Shaped America’s History

H.P. Lovecraft on the best Salem ghost tour and Salem walking tourOh, Salem was named Arkham by H.P. Lovecraft. An area encompassing Salem to Ipswich. Inside these bounds is Arkham Asylum. In real life it is even scarier than what Bob Kane or Lovecraft could imagine.

Danvers State Hospital is where they invented the lobotomy. Its building are connected to a series of tunnels that had trains move food and laundry from building to building. Kirkbride in fact connected all of his asylums he built by such tunnels. In these tunnels patients would wander and doodle perverse or surreal illustrations on the wall. The film Session 9 was filmed within its confine. Next to it is a potter’s field in which the patients only received a number to mark their identities. Now it is luxury condos…

Before they were converted for the punishment of the wealthy, my friend Jonathan Archer took one of its towers down that housed the ward for the sexually insane and attached it to a new addition to his mansion.

Jonathan Archer is the descendant of Samuel Archer III who built the first commercial property in which the Parker Brothers sold their first Ouija board out of, Thomas Perkins (Opium dealing Boston Brahmin who is the predecessor to the Skulls and Bones) once owned, and one of the oldest secret societies in America had owned. The Salem Marine Society who pilfered artifacts from around the world through the tunnels attached to this building to their museums still retain a clubhouse on top of the building that stands in that location now. They sold it to Frank Poor who founded Sylvania.

The Hawthorne Hotel is built on a property that once held a building that burned down 6 times taking many lives. In its parking lot once stood the Crowninshield-Bently House which was featured in H.P. Lovecraft’s “Thing on the Doorstep”.  Its other parking lot is holy ground for a Jewish Temple once stood there.

Further down the tunnel, this building connects to the second oldest jail in the country. A truly haunted penitentiary that has been converted over to luxury condos to abuse the wealthy once more. This is also attached to a potter’s field haunted by Giles Corey.  Just beyond that is the location of the haunted Lyceum in which James Russel Lowell read Dante’s Inferno in English for the first time. A building attached to the nefarious George Peabody’s home on the common.

 

Why Our World Would End If Political Corruption Was not Around

Image Would That Be a Bad Thing?

As we know in Salem, politics and corruption made our seaport the richest in the nation. This advancement did not come legally. Otherwise there would be no need to dig 3 miles of tunnels. This was the foundation of our government. George Washington slept in the Joshua Ward House and might of walked to his birthday party through a tunnel to the Mechanic Hall. He might of even praised the Salem local businessmen for their ingenuity for avoiding paying duties or taxes to the British. 

Now John Quincy Adams also walked through these tunnels for years before he was president. Did he do anything while sworn in to stop these gentlemen from paying their share of the infrastructure they relied on more than anyone else? Did they pay one cent for the roads that were built to move their cargo into the interior of the nation?

What about James Monroe when he toured Salem? His Secretary of the Navy Benjamin Crowninshield  put him up in his house and traveled through the tunnels to be entertained in the homes of Senator Nathaniel Silsbee and the founder’s of J.P. Morgan & Chase, George Peabody, home. No!

Then on the local level, all the mayors were part of the smuggling including Silsbee’s son. The head of Customs, Joseph Hiller, was part of it too along with the weigher and gauger and the captain in charge of the revenue cutter. Benjamin Crowninshield was also the Customs Agent for Marblehead.

On the state level Joseph Story and Stephen White were in the state congress along with many of the other smugglers in town.  The members of the Salem Commons Improvement Fund were entrenched in all levels of government.

So I ask, if our world ended would it be a bad thing?

The universe hates vacuums. Once our world ends, another would just take its place.  If corruption, greed, and secrecy was so integral to our world; would you want to remain living in it if a better world was offered to you? No, so lets stop. Let them thrive and strive as we leave to somewhere better. The good news is, you do not have to leave your town to do it. Its a state of mind. The old world tips their hand with every dollar they spend to convince you to act in such a way that profits them. If we were not so powerful, they would not spend a dime to influence how we thought. They would just force us to do it. In that statement lies the true strength in the people. So let the world fall.